Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Simplify the Exit Ticket?

Exit Tickets are an idea i have always *wanted* to do. I talk about them, I use them as examples of formative assessment for the newer teachers I mentor, in theory I think they're great! I think I've actually done it once. Maybe twice. Because the sticking point is always taking/finding the time to go through them all and analyze the data I get. There is always the voice in my head that says "You know you won't really LOOK at them, so why bother?"

It occurred to me this morning (I'm kind of slow sometimes) that since we are going 1 to 1 with the iPads this year, I could streamline the data collection piece by having students complete their exit tickets on the iPad using something like Socrative, which will do a lot of the data collection and summary for me.

So now my thinking cap is on and running. If I'm going to do this, I need to start planning so I'm ahead of the curve. Might be best to try it out with Algebra 2, since this is my fourth year through, and I have a good handle on which concepts the kids tend to smack up against.

I really want to do exit tickets, and stop just talking them up!


1 comment:

  1. I do a super simple exit ticket. I have six blanks per side with a narrow box at the top and a bigger box below for the work. I keep them sorted by row so when I do an exit ticket I just start each one down the row and then put a problem on the board. Sometimes its pre-planned and sometimes I just make up an equation or ask a question on the fly and write it on the board as the slips are coming across.

    Oh, and there are also three smilies at the top, and the students circle (or sometimes festively decorate) the one that matches how they feel. Thats SO helpful, because I can see that everyone feels iffy about today, but actually got the exit slip right or that everyone thinks they got it, but they all made mistakes or whatever.

    I glance at them as they hand them to me on their way out, and then take literally 2 min to go over them as soon as all the students are gone. Then I just re-sort them into their row piles so they're ready next time. I wish I did all kinds of sophisticated analysis of them, but what I do is really quick which is great.

    ReplyDelete